[Xastir] shape lib problems

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Nov 14 21:16:23 EST 2006

On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 09:05:26PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <ke4lkq at doramefa.us> flavor, containing:

> Who in the H)!(@& is screwing around with shapelib and then comitting to CVS!!

That would be me.  And Curt.  We have been talking about it on this list all
week.   Xastir now comes with its own shapelib so that complete newbies can
get off and running with weather alerts without having to install shapelib.

> The configure script reports all is well and then "make" fails with some garbage about shapelib when shape lib was working just fine all along...

Odds are very good that you forgot to do a "cvs update -d" --- this is
mandatory whenever a new directory is added to the repository.  You should
add it to your .cvsrc so you don't have to think about it, and if you do
you'll never have to worry about missing new directories.

> By the way "make clean" doesn't work either, it tries to "MAKE" and then clean so of course it fails with the above message..

Probably because you have a missing directory.  But it's hard to say, since
you didn't actually post the "above message" other than to say it's garbage.

> No wonder newbies have problems...
>
> The experiments need to work, mostly,

They do work, mostly, and folks have been checking in with helpful bug reports
since last week.  Yours, by the way, is not a helpful bug report, since
it contains no information about the actual error messages you receive.

> I'm p. o.  now I cannot update until all this is decided, working, changed, whatever  AND DOCS WRITTEN...

I'm sorry you're pissed off, but if you are unwilling to have a temporarily
broken copy of xastir or to follow the discussions on the group, you should
probably not be tracking CVS head, which is never guaranteed to be working at
all times on any open source project (though we all try our best to keep code
working even at the bleeding edge).  You can always do a
  cvs update -r STABLE
and go back to the last stable version.

If you would care to post details about the error messages you're receiving
from make, I'm sure someone can help you find the solution.