[Xastir] Ubuntu 6.10 Bootstrap error

John Ronan jronan at tssg.org
Fri Nov 17 04:29:57 EST 2006

On 17 Nov 2006, at 05:13, Tom Russo wrote:

> When I built libgeotiff on my SAR team's Ubuntu machine (one that
> had been
> upgraded from 5.10 through 6.06 to 6.10) I did not see this
> problem, but
> today I did a fresh install of 6.10 on a new laptop and there it
> was.  I have
> no idea why there should have been a difference, but there was,
> exactly as
> you and John have both seen.
>
> I tracked down the issue, with the help of google on the error
> message.
> The really helpful search result was this one:
>   http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general/217819
>
> The issue is that libgeotiff's configure script looks around for
> how to build
> shared libraries, and concludes that it needs to do "ld -shared" to
> make
> libgeotiff.so from its object files.  This is, however, completely
> incorrect
> with GCC 4.x.  The right thing to do is "gcc -shared"
>
> The workaround is to configure libgeotiff by overriding its
> internal probe
> for the way to do shared libraries.  That is, libgeotiff should be
> built
> with
>    ./configure --with-ld-shared="gcc -shared"
>    make
>    sudo make install
>
> Unfortunately, if I were to slam that into get-maptools, it would
> probably
> break the script for some other platform.  Instead, I'm documenting
> the
> cheesy hack I did on my temporary copy of get-maptools.sh, and
> adding that
> to the wiki.  I've tried to make it so that anyone googling on the
> error
> message would get a quick answer to their question, too, so it has
> unfortunately bloated the step-by-step instructions somewhat.  It's
> still
> pretty straightforward.

I'm trying your 'cheesy hack' now Tom on the LiveCD.  It didn't seem
to work initially as the Makefile in the 'bin' subdirectory wasn't
receiving the 'gcc -shared' instruction/directive.  Just to be sure
its not a weirdness on the liveCD's part, I'm going to start again.

I'll keep you posted.
de John
EI7IG

--