[Xastir] Ubuntu 6.10 Bootstrap error

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Nov 17 10:09:20 EST 2006

On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 09:29:57AM +0000, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <jronan at tssg.org> flavor, containing:

> I'm trying your 'cheesy hack' now Tom on the LiveCD.  It didn't seem
> to work initially as the Makefile in the 'bin' subdirectory wasn't
> receiving the 'gcc -shared' instruction/directive.  Just to be sure
> its not a weirdness on the liveCD's part, I'm going to start again.

Several hours later I discovered that my first hack only worked because I was
doing it in a dirty directory.  Turns out that the tarball for libgeotiff
has a config.in with a newer modification time than configure, and a makefile
that has the following rules:

  config.status: configure
       ./configure

  configure: configure.in
       autoconf

Which means that if you do a fresh untar and then do:
   ./configure --with-ld-shared="gcc -shared"
   make

the makefile does this:
  autoconf
  ./configure
  build the code

which is Just Wrong, as it undoes your command line option.

At about 2am this morning I changed the wiki *again* to add the extra cheese
that touches configure first, so that the makefile doesn't rebuild it.

This whole thing is a pain, and makes me think that the convenience of
get-maptools.sh is not so convenient --- this is much easier to do by hand
than to hack the script.