[Xastir] Using Synaptic with Ubuntu

Dave h davekh at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 06:59:15 EST 2006

Hi Rick

Saying your new to Linux - if you want find Xastir  you will need to add
a more expanded selection of "repositories" eg places Synaptic goes
and lists to offer you the choice of install. Ubuntu keep this reasonably
short on first install as there is such a wide choice of things you  can
include.

I'm not near a Ubuntu machine at moment - my Xastir is run on PCLinuxOS
but runs Synaptic anyway.

Run up Synaptic ( it should ask for your admin/root password) - which I
think
in Ubuntu will be your user password. Once in look across the top menu for
"Settings" and click it. In that drop down look for "Repositories" This will
open
a new window with extra places for more software look for "Universe" click
in
the box  next to it. The OK to return.

This may bring up a window to tell you to click "Reload" on the top menu -
this
fetches the list of programs in the "Universe" repository. If you look at
the
bottom-left of  Synaptic and choose "Sections" (you may already have) - the
listing on the left should now include Amateur Radio or Hamradio (i forget
which).

You can find Xastir in that and install it as per any other app.

You could use command-line then if preferrred

Sadly PCLinuxOS forums seem to ignore my requests for this to be added to
their known safe repositories. :(

Good Luck
Dave