[Xastir] New user..and thanks..

Jeff Mohler speedtoys.racing at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 05:26:06 EST 2006

Ive spent the last week looking at the different OS's and ways to use Xastir.

But here is where im at today..

My goal is a graphical system that can track via GPS our safety
vehicles at racetracks in CA.  My test has to be up and working for
pace car at our 25hr endurance race here:

http://www.nasa25hour.com/

..so Xastir appears to be a good method to create a custom map, and
track this one vehicle as a dry run, then build this up to tracking 15
vehicles in February.

Fedora linux isnt a bad option, but very unsupportable for the end
user im building this for...and mind you im -very- new to
Xastir/APRS/etc.

But I'd like to use Windows as the base OS, just that I keep trying to
find a comprehensive set of Cygwin install instructions where all of
the steps still work today in 2006.  (Picky eh?)

That seems to hold the most hope in reducing complexity in code &
compiling to get a system where I can view maps, and _create_ maps.

How much creativity do I have available to me to create a custom map?

As for the data, I will be using opentracker using our 2-way VHF
radios (spare ones) on a separate channel from voice to transmit data,
and a base radio with audio output to the windows sound card to input
with Soundmodem for windows..the data.

Am I on the right track?