[Xastir] Ubuntu 6.10 Bootstrap error

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Nov 17 15:07:57 EST 2006

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006, John Ronan wrote:

> > If anyone has experience compiling under LSB and can help, let me
> > know.  I've tried to do this a couple of times in the past and
> > gotten frustrated.  I can't stand letting the computer get the best
> > of me so here I am trying it again.

> Can't help you there Curt, I've no experience with it.  I might have
> a look at it next week though... just in case I have some inspiration :)

I might be done by then!  As with nearly everything else where I've
asked publicly on a list for help, I made progress right after
posting that.  It stands to follow that I should just ask for help
as the first step in doing anything then, right?

I don't know if I'll get to the end yet, but I'm further along now
than I've been before.

I finally got Lesstif to compile as an LSB package, but to do so I
had to force it to statically link in the operating system's libXt.a
library.  I'll have to look at the license for OpenSuSE, but I may
not be able to redistribute it.

The whole reason I had to compile Lesstif to begin with was that I
needed some _static_ libraries that I didn't have on my OS.  SuSE
only distributes shared libraries in some cases.

The end goal is to compile Xastir as an LSB package, which will end
up statically linking any libraries it needs that aren't included in
the LSB-distributed shared libs.  In other words, the executable
when I'm all done will be much larger, but it should run on any
Linux system that supports LSB-3.0 without recompiling.  I'm anxious
to try it, or have someone else try it that has a non-SuSE Linux
system.