[Xastir] V1.8.4 Stable crashing on Fedora Core 6, View windows unusual

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Fri Nov 24 22:00:19 EST 2006

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006, Bill Bird wrote:

> I can get Xastir V1.8.4 to crash by starting the program, and then doing the
> following (I may have to do the following up to about 5 times):
>
> 1)selecting my station by a mouse right click (or another station if I have
> opened my serial port and other stations have begun to appear),
>
> 2) selecting Station Info by a mouse click
>
> 3) selecting Send Message by a mouse click
>
> 4) not writing any message but just selecting Close by mouse click.
>
> Xastir disappears and is no longer running.  It will restart without a
> problem.

I tried the same sequence a bunch of times with the current CVS code
and couldn't get it to crash.  I tried it with just doing the Send
Message/Close and with the same but closing the Station Info
dialog each time as well.

Are you using Lesstif or OpenMotif, and which version?  I'm using
OpenMotif-2.2.3 here.

> I did notice when I first used Xastir V1.8.4 that the varous View windows did
> not act like they did in previous Xastir versions.  The View windows did not
> seem fully independent.  I normally start Xastir on one desktop and then place
> the View-Incoming Data window in another desktop and the View-Message Traffic
> in a third desktop.  In the past this was easily accomplished by selecting
> View-Incoming Data, right clicking on the View-Incoming Date window border,
> and selecting move to desktop number ...  If I do this with Xastir V1.8.4 the
> View-Incoming Data Window moves to the selected desktop number but so does the
> entire Xastir display.a

Could be a Lesstif or Motif issue.  I don't recall any changes to
how we did the View dialogs lately, but perhaps I just forgot.

> With my workaround the only problem I am having is the crashing. I do wonder
> why the various View-windows do not act independently when directed to other
> desktops.

You might try another window manager to see if it's an Xastir
problem or a window manager problem.  It could also be a compiler or
libc problem.

Another check:  Try earlier versions of Xastir to see if it was
something in Xastir that changed, or something in your OS.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer