[Xastir] V1.8.4 Stable crashing on Fedora Core 6, View windows unusual

Bill Bird billbird at cal.berkeley.edu
Sat Nov 25 00:08:15 EST 2006

I've changed window managers to TWM and am getting Xastir V1.8.4 crashing at the
same frequency.  My terminal screen shows a seg fault now each time.  I am using
the same sequence of mouse clicks except I am usually adding the placement of
the curser into the send message window before I hit close.  I added this step
because with the extra step Xastir crashes in one to four times but without the
placement of the cursor it doesn't crash until five or six times.

The libraries shown in the Xastir Help-About are:
Festival
ImageMagick
ShapeLib
PCRE
DbFawk map_caching@(#)GNU/LessTif Version 2.1 Release 0.95.0  (Don't know why
these two are run together in window display so I typed as I see it)
ImageMagick 6.2.8 08/23/06 Q16 file:/usr/share/ImageMagick-6.2.8/doc/index.html
xvertext routines Copyright (c) Alan Richardson, version 5.00

With TWM I don't have, or don't know how to have, more than one desktop so I
can't see about being able to move the view-incoming data and view-message
traffic to different desktops.  Otherwise, with TWM, the Xastir view windows
seem to behave correctly.

I'd like to next try Xastir V1.8.2 which I had been using on FC3 for a long
time.  (On a long shot I tried running the V1.8.2 executable on my FC6 machine
but had a library error so it did not start)

Is there any special way of doing the configure, make, and make install with
Xastir V1.8.2 knowing that I already have done the same on this computer but
with V1.8.4?

Thanks,

Bill Bird
KG0YJ