[Xastir] newby got himself in trouble

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sat Oct 7 10:05:52 EDT 2006

On Sat, 7 Oct 2006, mike sullivan wrote:

> Running Kubuntu on a 1 ghz HP and doing well enough. Also have a WinXP    box.
> With CD's given by a friend I had been trying to run UIView. Had    problems
> there. Feeling confidant enough to try in Linux so enter my    foray with
> Xastir. Last night I  finally got it running and displaying    information.
> Got tiger maps up and running and then tackled getting an    internet server
> configured. WOW ! information was flying of the net and    my screen was
> rapidly becoming unreadable. Made some changes to the    display. And at some
> point I lost all the info. I still have my tiger    map display but don't even
> have my icon showing. Is there some command I    can use, say from a terminal
> ?, to set things to a default state ?

Well, there's certainly ONE way to do it, but I'm not sure I'd
recommend it.  Then again, if you're just getting things going then
maybe it's not such a bad solution for you.  Here it is:

Stop Xastir, delete the ~/.xastir/config/xastir.cnf file, then
restart Xastir.

NOTE:  This will get rid of all of your default settings, your
callsign, your interfaces you have configured, etc.

Another method is to just rename that file so that Xastir can't find
it.

Xastir will recreate the file using defaults when you next start up.

If you rename the file then you can bring that up in a viewer or
editor and refer to it as you'rer recreating your settings.

Now that's been said, there are some other things you can do that
might be less drastic.

*) Check your Configure->Defaults->Active Alternate net box.  Make
sure it is not checked.

*) Check the Station->Filter Data settings

*) Check the Station->Filter Display settings

*) Check Configure->Timing to see if you might be expiring
stations very quickly, although you should just see fewer station
with bad settings here, not zero stations.  My top right three
sliders are set to 80mins, 24hrs, and 1day respectively.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer