[Xastir] further question please

Mike Fenske mike_fenske at telus.net
Sat Oct 7 23:19:32 EDT 2006

Yes, you should be able to use it. I have used it on an old laptop with SuSE 7.3. I had it set up as an AX.25 device and it works fine with xastir. I'm not sure if the Kubuntu kernel is configured for AX25 devices. If not, I think you can get Xastir to talk to SoundModem as a "Serial Kiss TNC", but I haven't done that. A google search for "xastir soundmodem serial kiss" provided several hits. As Bob pointed out, there's not too much documentation for soundmodem, but it does work. As far as interfaces for the PTT, a google search should find something for you, if not, I have a pdf here that I could e-mail to you.

Mike Fenske
VE7MKF