[Xastir] Install

Tate - kc7zru kc7zru at kc7zru.net
Tue Oct 17 21:47:54 EDT 2006

Robbie, wa9inf wrote:
> I'm trying to do a complete install of Xastir and having difficulties
> with the "language" and terms of it all, however, I am trying.. I've
> tried to get a handle on Linux a few times but would give up, :-(
>
> Is there a text file, documentation, like a step by step file out there
> any where for dummies like me?
>
> As always, to me, its very difficult to come into the middle of
> something, then have to spend so much time understanding Linux, I give
> up on Xastir since I keep getting errors on the files I download to
> install. Like dependencies on Perl for GPS, and the ax25libs not found.
> Curt mentioned the problems with some binary files compiled with things
> I may not need or want and not there, :-)
>
> I am up and running with Fedora Core 5, and several "Windows" like
> applications, but all that isn't what I was after really, more for ham
> radio applications and reliability of Linux and Xastir..
>
> Thanks for reading, any guidance appreciated,
>
> Robbie

Robbie,

Rather than get sucked into a distro religion discussion, here's what
you were asking for:

http://www.xastir.org/wiki/index.php/HowTo:Fedora

Step by step, with links, instructions and even the commands you can
copy and past into your own console to get an almost full featured
Xastir install up and running on FC5.

If you have questions - please ask and enjoy!

73