[Xastir] I'm stuck

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Thu Oct 19 01:22:17 EDT 2006

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, mike sullivan wrote:

> I have Xastir running under Ubuntu 6.06LTS on a 1ghz HP E-PC S-10. I have it
> configured correctly, so far, and get good input off of an internet server.
> Picked up a KAM TNC in working order. Radio is a Yeasu FT-817. I realize that
> one of my problems may be my cable. I am using a Saratoga EZ-PSK 817 wiring
> harness. This should be correct. I have everything connected. But still can't
> seem to get any thing coming in/through the FT-817. Please be patient as I'm
> a newby with Linux. BTW I have tried setting up for serial TNC & serial KISS
> TNC. No joy.

  Before you worry about the xastir config, first make sure the TNC/radio
combination is set up properly.  Can you operate normal ax25 by running a
simple terminal emulator?  (I like minicom on Linux, it's not default on
ubuntu, but its just `apt-get install minicom` away.  The first time you
run it, start it with the -s flag as root.  That'll let you save the
config as the system default)
   Once you've successfully seen the cmd: prompt from your TNC, and been
able to successfully connect to another station, then drop minicom, and
define a serial tnc to xastir.

--
Rick Green, N8BJX

                                   -Benjamin Franklin