[Xastir] multiport KISS?

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Mon Oct 23 11:12:07 EDT 2006

I'm thinking about ways to simplify the connection of multiple
devices (TNCs, GPS, etc) - the old "one (or no) serial port and 5
devices" scenario.

Does xastir have full multiport KISS support _without_ ax.25 kernel
support?  Not all of us run linux...

It would be feasible to use a microcontroller to multiplex several
devices onto one serial port, assuming the host application knows
what to do with the data.

It would be nice if this could be done for non-KISS devices, like GPS
units, non-KISS TNCs, electronic compasses, DF units, etc.  I suppose
one cold use the microcontroller to convert everything to KISS. Some
scheme for converting a GPS string to a KISS packet (APRS report with
a special FROM call?) could probably be done, but that complicates
the application for extracting the data.

I realize this could be done elsewhere (ie, daemon to handle the de-
muxing), but if xastir multiport KISS works or is close, that may be
the easiest route.

Yes, I know about the HASP hack, but I'm talking about something a
bit more generic, handling multiple TNCs in both directions, etc.

I'm getting ready for the next balloon chase and my USB hub is dead.
Instead of spending $10 on a new hub, this is what I started thinking
about. |:

-Jason
kg4wsv