[Xastir] serial MFJ-1278B

Robbie, wa9inf mwrobertson at comcast.net
Mon Oct 23 16:06:22 EDT 2006

Curt, WE7U wrote:

>On Mon, 23 Oct 2006, Robbie, wa9inf wrote:
>

>>Confused as usual.. I am trying to set up a serial interface. Does
>>Xastir include what I need? I add a serial interface, and when I click
>>on Start, nothing changes. Not sure which of the tnx-startup.--- I
>>should try either, but I started by looking at the KAM file. Din't
>>change anything in the tnc-start.sys yet either??
>>
>>How do I know if I have what it takes, and I think I was told that I
>>didn't need to install AX.25. Do I need to insure libax25 is all
>>installed, and how.. TCP/IP to a filter server works great...
>>

>You don't need the AX.25 stuff in Linux to get Xastir talking to
>most TNC's.  Exceptions would be software TNC's like "soundmodem"
>(although there's one way to use that as well without the kernel
>AX.25 support) or perhaps things like baycom modems that require
>special drivers to work.
>
>I _think_ a 1278 is a TNC2 clone, right?  In that case use
>"tnc-startup.tnc2" and "tnc-stop.sys" for the two files if you're
>running the TNC in command-mode.  Use the "Serial TNC" interface.
>
>If you're running the TNC in KISS mode, use the "Serial KISS TNC"
>interface and you won't need the tnc-startup/tnc-stop files at all.

I thought that... Don't need the AX.25 now, :-)

However, another question, I am trying to follow the Xastir manual, and
it says doing a make install after I modify the tnc-start.sys, but I
haven't got past trying to start either tnc script.

I am trying to use the Xastir / Interface control. and when I select
serial tnc, Properties, and I set the correct baud rate and so forth, I
close that window, and then I click on the interface which it is
stopped, and I click on Start, nothing happens on that line, the Stopped
stays stopped. Do I need to configure/make, and make install Xastir
again for changeing tncs?

Robbie