[Xastir] serial MFJ-1278B

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Oct 23 15:19:19 EDT 2006

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006, Robbie, wa9inf wrote:

> Confused as usual.. I am trying to set up a serial interface. Does
> Xastir include what I need? I add a serial interface, and when I click
> on Start, nothing changes. Not sure which of the tnx-startup.--- I
> should try either, but I started by looking at the KAM file. Din't
> change anything in the tnc-start.sys yet either??
>
> How do I know if I have what it takes, and I think I was told that I
> didn't need to install AX.25. Do I need to insure libax25 is all
> installed, and how.. TCP/IP to a filter server works great...

You don't need the AX.25 stuff in Linux to get Xastir talking to
most TNC's.  Exceptions would be software TNC's like "soundmodem"
(although there's one way to use that as well without the kernel
AX.25 support) or perhaps things like baycom modems that require
special drivers to work.

I _think_ a 1278 is a TNC2 clone, right?  In that case use
"tnc-startup.tnc2" and "tnc-stop.sys" for the two files if you're
running the TNC in command-mode.  Use the "Serial TNC" interface.

If you're running the TNC in KISS mode, use the "Serial KISS TNC"
interface and you won't need the tnc-startup/tnc-stop files at all.