[Xastir] Serial port

kd7nm kd7nm at pugetsound.net
Mon Oct 23 19:58:09 EDT 2006

This sounds like it might be that your user isn't on the
list accepted users for serial ports.  You might need to add
your user login account to that group.  Check the following:

bob at colossus:/> ls -l /dev/ttyS0
crw-rw----  1 root uucp 4, 64 2006-10-23 16:46 /dev/ttyS0
bob at colossus:/>

This is the directory command to check permissions on ttyS0,
and if you read across, you see that the owner is "root",
and the group is "uucp".  To enable xastir to work when I'm
logged in with my user account "bob", I had to go into my
users and groups manager, and insure that the "bob" account
was a  member of the "uucp" group.

I use SuSE Linux v10.0, and with that Linux distribution,
that's a feature of the YaST system management tool.  I
suspect that if my system hadn't auto-archived a bunch of
stuff, that I'd find out what Linux distribution you're
using, though I probably still don't know where to find an
application to do what YaST does for me.  So - take a look
in /etc/group and find the group entry that matches the
group entry in your /dev/ttyS0 directory listing, and add
your login user account to it - assuming it's not already
there.  With any luck, it's that simple!

73, Bob, KD7NM