[Xastir] Keyboard functions

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Oct 25 12:44:33 EDT 2006

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> There should probably be a mouse & keyboard explanation around
> somewhere.  Some people have two-button mice and haven't enabled the
> third-button emulation in X-windows, or run on other OS'es that
> don't support it.
>
> As far as keyboard functions, they have to be written in a form
> where they are understandable on different operating systems.  For
> instance the menu activation buttons are Alt-<letter> on Linux, but
> may be different on Windows/MacOSX/Solaris.
>
> The keys of interest though are (from memory):
>

> Arrow keys       - Panning
> PageUp/Down keys - Zoom out/in
> Space            - Active a menu option
> Tab/Back-Tab     - Move between dialog options
> Alt-<letter>     - Activate menus and menu options
>
> Left mouse button         - Select, draw zoom-in boxes
> Right mouse button        - Right mouse menu
> Middle mouse button click - Draw CAD objects
> Middle mouse click        - Zoom out by 2
> Mouse scroll button       - Moves up/down in some dialogs, also can
>                             pan up/down with it.
>

> If someone would like to add those to the Wiki and/or the docs, feel
> free.  It needs to be done.
>
> I probably forgot a few things too.  main.c:da_input() and
> main.c:Mouse_button_handler() are probably good places to start in
> the code to find what I missed.
>
> BTW:  If you compile in rtree and are using Shapefile maps,
> scrolling maps up/down via the scroll button or zooming in/out via
> the keys or the mouse is very fast!  At least if you're zoomed in a
> bit.

Oh yea, the buttons at the top also affect things, so if you turn on
"Measure"/"Move"/"Draw" then the mouse buttons get reconfigured to
do something else.  "Measure" allows you to measure distances and
angles via the mouse (isn't correct at zoom=1 as I recall).  "Move"
allows you to move Objects/Items around the map.  "Draw" turns on
the CAD Drawing function where you can draw/measure/label polygons
using the middle mouse button.

Zooming out using the mouse also recenters the map, and of course
zooming in via a zoom box also recenters the map.  PageUp/Down do
zooming without recentering.

'-' and '+' are supposed to change the grid size if you have map
grids enabled.  They don't seem to have any effect with the current
Xastir code though.