[Xastir] Ubuntu/CVS/Game plan

John Ronan jronan at tssg.org
Tue Oct 31 17:44:19 EST 2006

On 31 Oct 2006, at 00:02, Stephen Brown Jr wrote:

> Darryl,
>    I had a real time installing the latest CVS build under Ubuntu
> 6.06 but
> I did get it working. There were countless libraries and other
> things I had
> to change in order to get it working, unfortunately I did so much I
> can't
> remember half of what I did. There is an alternative solution if
> all you
> care about is running the latest version of Xastir, there is a way to
> install it from Edgy's repositories. I found a tool called prevu on
> the
> Ubuntu forums that essentially allows you to backport applications
> from Edgy
> to Dapper. I did this lastnight and it worked flawlessly. The
> latest version
> is sitting the Edgy repositories(1.8.2)
>
> If your interested in building completely from source, I can dig up
> the
> emails I have with solutions to some of the problems I had and I'll
> try and
> help as best as I can. I would eventually like to see this built as
> a .deb
> package specifically for Ubuntu complete with dependencies etc.

My xastir/Linux laptop went belly up, as soon as I get it back running
(or a replacement) I'll be putting ubuntu onto it, and its my
intention to do exactly this.

If all the libraries aren't present in binary form, I'm planning to
make .deb's of them and then to create a .deb of xastir itself.  I've
to figure out how to replace the kernel on the livecd first :)

  Then again I might just create a new livecd with the current/latest
version of xastir on there and with all options enabled.  I've not
really made up my mind yet.. but a livecd does give me that warm
fuzzy feeling :)

Regards
de John
EI7IG