[Xastir] strange stuff on stdout

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Sep 1 11:01:39 EDT 2006

On Fri, 1 Sep 2006, Jason Winningham wrote:

> >     "%136.0/8/158.0" (That last number is magnetic bearing)
>
> I haven't seen one with the magnetic bearing.  Is that magnetic to the
> target or magnetic orientation of the antenna array?

For that particular one, once the GPS got a bearing the added it to
the RDF bearing.

> I have seen the bearing/quality, and I've even put together a PIC that
> reads 4 inputs (like the demux inputs on the DDF in the book
> "TRANSMITTER HUNTING: Radio Direction Finding Simplified") and spits
> out %xxx/5 on a serial port (quality is fixed).

I have that book!

I also built the double-ducky DF unit at one point, and added the
zero-center meter upgrade to it.  I think I gave that away a long
time ago though.  Not much use for APRS anyway.

I should probably look into adding more stuff to Xastir sometime
soon w.r.t. RDF.  Real code that actually does something with the
values.

Any idea what we might want?  I know we need to read in RDF data
from the serial port for an attached unit, then give the option of
displaying, or displaying/transmitting the info.

We also need to do something with RDF packets received from others,
plus there's the other DF information that can be appended to
packets.

Would we want to "drop" objects all over as a mobile station sends
out DF packets, so that we can see what the direction was at
particular spots?  If so, we'd need to keep from transmitting those
objects.

Perhaps just add RDF info to a station and update the single
location each time we receive info?  That'd be easier, but wouldn't
give us the history info if a station was doing an 'L' shaped
pattern in order to triangulate.