[Xastir] Census 2004 Shapefiles/dbfawk question

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Sep 3 15:28:39 EDT 2006

On Sun, Sep 03, 2006 at 01:41:54PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <rbutler at tsss.org> flavor, containing:
> Ok,
>
> So I've been messing with the 2004 Tigerline shapefiles and the
> tiger.dbfawk and tigerpoly.dbfawk files included with Xastir.  I'm
> currently using the online tigermap server and like how it looks, but
> hate how long it takes to load.
>
> My question is,  does the shapefile not include the county and city
> boundary shapes in the shapefiles?  I figured they'd be the
> jurisdictional boundaries or map edges (for each count) but I can't seem
> to get them displayed.

No, the shapefiles don't include the city and county boundaries.

When I figured out how to do the TIGER->polygon shapefile conversions, I was
never able to figure out how to get that information.  The TIGER data is quite
convoluted and I ran out of time to work on it.  The script that does the
conversion is included in Xastir's scripts directory.  If anyone who has more
knowledge of TIGER structure than I do can figure it out then that script
could be tweaked and the shapefiles regenerated.