[Xastir] Mac and libdb

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Sep 4 11:56:37 EDT 2006

On Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 11:11:04AM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <n1mie at myeastern.com> flavor, containing:
> On Sep 3, 2006, at 22:26, Tom Russo wrote:
>
> > configure --with-bdb-incdir=/sw/include/wherever/db43/includes/live \
> >            --with-bdb-libdir=/sw/lib/wherever/db43/libs/live
>
> This worked perfectly for me. For Mac OS X (10.4.7) the exact line was:

[...]

Excellent.

> I noticed the recent compile installed the components in:
>
> /usr/local/share/xastir
>
> but from the previous version they were in:
>
> /sw/share/xastir
>
> The program seems to be using the old install info (as evidenced by
> the available maps). I seem to recall there is a way to tell it what
> directory to install the files when I configure so they are put
> correctly when I "make install".

configure --prefix=/sw

> New topic:
>
> One problem I seem to be having consistently though. Whenever I run
> Xastir, I get two instances. I am using Blackbox (rootless v0.65.0)
> on my Mac with XFree86 (v4.5.0). My Blackbox menu command looks like
> this:
>
> [exec] (Xastir)  {xastir -geometry 1100x890}
>
> This format works on my other programs just fine. I've tried tweaking
> some, but I get the dual clients each time. I can kill either one
> each time and no adverse effects are noted to the other. I just
> double-checked, and launching Xastir from the command line also
> creates two clients (even with no geometry reference).
>
> Ideas?

It's probably how Mac OS X does multiple threads.  Works the same way on
FreeBSD --- Mac OS X and BSD have a common heritage, so it's not unlikely that
Mac multi-threaded applications appear as multiple processes, too.

But it's curious that you can kill one and not have a problem --- if each one
represented a thread I'd expect killing one of them to be a problem.  Perhaps
that's *not* what's happening.  Just a guess.