[Xastir] Mac and libdb

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Mon Sep 4 15:37:30 EDT 2006

On Mon, 4 Sep 2006, Tom Russo wrote:

> It's probably how Mac OS X does multiple threads.  Works the same way on
> FreeBSD --- Mac OS X and BSD have a common heritage, so it's not unlikely that
> Mac multi-threaded applications appear as multiple processes, too.

That's my guess too.  Linux pthreads do a similar thing, where once
you try to start up another thread you get a supervisory thread as
well.  That supervisory thread sticks around even if the other
thread finishes.  You always end up with one more thread than you
expect.

Another possibility is that you have Server Ports turned on in the
Interface menu.  In that case you've got the x_spider server running
and it's communicating with the main process via pipes.  It's not a
separate thread in that case, but a separate process.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer