[Xastir] Some observations with the recent CVS release

Andreas Junge, N6NU xastir at n6nu.org
Wed Sep 6 18:40:14 EDT 2006

> On Tue, 5 Sep 2006, Andreas Junge, N6NU wrote:
>
>> I hit the "Trace Query" button in the "Station Info" dialog.
>
> Ok, that's a specific query (query to a specific station) so should
> go through the igate.
>

>> If I do it on the instance that is connected to the TNC, it will send
>> the packet via RF and if I do it on the network connected instance
>> nothing will happen. I can send general messages from both instances
>> just fine.
>
> Define "network connected instance".  Do you have one Xastir hooked
> to the network port of another, or two Xastir sessions running one
> serving as an igate, both connected to the INET directly?  Yes,
> there's a difference.  Xastir treats the X_spider server ports as
> TNC ports, and doesn't gate between TNC's.  It doesn't consider the
> X_spider ports to be INET connections.

I have two computers:

1) iGate (N6NU-8):  Port 1: internet  :  firenet.us port 14580 (m/200
-b/CW* -b/WX*)
           Port 2: KAM+ KISS :  VHF 144.39
Gating RF <-> Inet enabled.

When I do a "Trace query" on the iGate to my car (N6NU-9), the query goes
out the  VHF port directly.

2) Client (N6NU-10): Port 1: internet  :  firenet.us port 14580

Sending messages from this machine to my car (N6NU-9) works fine. When I
do a "Trace query" nothing happens.

73,

Andreas, N6NU