[Xastir] Deep Breaths

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Sep 9 11:23:37 EDT 2006

On Sat, Sep 09, 2006 at 10:07:21AM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <n1mie at myeastern.com> flavor, containing:
> On Sep 8, 2006, at 22:37, David Flood wrote:
>
> > Since the archives do appear to have again crashed, go ahead and
> > ask your questions on the list.
>
> I suspect that asking the list will be less helpful than the
> archives. As I recall, the question went unanswered until I stumbled
> on an answer which I am fairly sure I posted to the list. I'm
> thinking that is my best hope. In case I am wrong I'll post it below.

I think it's a real shame the archives aren't working, but it's been that way
for about a month.

> I have ImageMagick installed, but on two of my three machines
> configure will not recognize it. I have libgeotiff installed, but on
> one of my three machines configure will not recognize it. I have GDAL
> installed, but on one of my three machines configure will not
> recognize it.

The best way to figure out why things aren't found is to look in config.log.
The real reason is usually buried in there.

I think that ImageMagick has a dependency on libxml, and sometimes this
dependency isn't documented in the binary packages --- if you don't have
libxml installed, then attempting to link against ImageMagick will fail, but
the console output of configure will just say it can't be found.  config.log
will have the real error message.  I'm pretty sure that issue has bitten
people here in the past.