[Xastir] Fishers Island Mystery

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Sep 19 09:34:32 EDT 2006

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006, Chip G. wrote:

> Here, hope this helps:
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/n1mie/PhotoAlbum10.html

Sure, what you're showing is a Tigermap bug, not an Xastir bug.
When we go out to get an internet-based map, we're asking the server
on the other end to render the map into some raster image, then we
transfer that image to our disk and use ImageMagick (except in rare
cases) to render it into our pixmap, at which point Xastir takes
over and draws other stuff on top of it.  In other words, we have
very little say in how the remote server does that drawing.  We just
show what we get.

dbfawk file have nothing to do with internet-based maps by the way,
only local Shapefile maps, so you're barking up the wrong tree
there.

If you want to see the island the way it is supposed to be seen, and
all the time, then you'll either need to switch to a different
internet map server, or use local maps.  I choose to use Shapefile
conversions of the raw Tiger/Line data from the tamu.edu site.  Our
Shapefile code in Xastir does a pretty good job for the most part.

You'll need Shapelib compiled into Xastir for this to work.  It's
nice to have dbfawk support as well so that they draw nicely, but
it's not required.  You need Shapelib anyway (plus the NWS maps) for
weather alerts to work.