[Xastir] Fishers Island Mystery

Chip G. n1mie at ct.metrocast.net
Wed Sep 20 08:15:04 EDT 2006

On Sep 19, 2006, at 09:34, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> Sure, what you're showing is a Tigermap bug, not an Xastir bug.

Bummer. That makes it harder for us to fix ... :)

> dbfawk file have nothing to do with internet-based maps by the way,
> only local Shapefile maps, so you're barking up the wrong tree there.

That explains why I've never been able to figure it out. I need to do
more experimenting/learning with the maps.

> If you want to see the island the way it is supposed to be seen,
> and all the time, then you'll either need to switch to a different
> internet map server, or use local maps.  I choose to use Shapefile
> conversions of the raw Tiger/Line data from the tamu.edu site.  Our
> Shapefile code in Xastir does a pretty good job for the most part.

This I'll need to learn. I do have a few local maps, but they are
very old and very horrible (at least compared to tigermaps).

> You'll need Shapelib compiled into Xastir for this to work.  It's
> nice to have dbfawk support as well so that they draw nicely, but
> it's not required.  You need Shapelib anyway (plus the NWS maps)
> for weather alerts to work.

Here's what the about box says I have: ImageMagick, libProj, GeoTiff,
GDAL/OGR, ShapeLib, PCRE, Dbfawk, map_caching, profiling, rtree,
LessTif. So I've got all the program parts (I think). I need the data
parts and configuration know-how. I haven't read the help files cover-
to-cover yet, so I guess I gotta go back there unless you've got a
quick suggestion on where to start.

Of course I'm working nights the next five nights, so it's unlikely
I'll look at it before next week ... :)

73,
--de Chip (N1MIE) FN41bn