[Xastir] Fishers Island Mystery

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Sep 20 09:33:47 EDT 2006

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006, Chip G. wrote:

> Here's what the about box says I have: ImageMagick, libProj, GeoTiff,
> GDAL/OGR, ShapeLib, PCRE, Dbfawk, map_caching, profiling, rtree,
> LessTif.

Hmm.  You tried to compile in everything you could, didn't you?  Are
you using the profiling?  That's typically just something the
developers would want to do, but if a user tells us that XX routine
is using too much of the CPU, we'll definitely appreciate the
report!

You're good to go for the Shapefile maps.  You've got PCRE, dbfawk,
and rtree in there, which means you have all of the whiz-bang
Shapelib features compiled in.

So...  Go to the Map Pointers page off our homepage.  Hmmm.  Guess
what, I don't know where it is anymore.  We have a new look now and
I have to get used to it!

Ok, try this instead, go to
<http://wiki.ampr2.net/nwaprs/XastirMaps>

Then click on "2003 & 2004 U.S. Tiger/Line streetmap data in
Shapefile Format" in the Vector Map section.  Again hmmm... I'm not
having much luck today getting in.  Anyway, go to the most recent
year and download an entire state or just the counties you're
interested in, put them somewhere in your map directory
(/usr/local/share/xastir/maps), creating subdirectories at will to
organize them however you like, then in Xastir reindex maps
(map->configure).  Map Chooser should now show you the new maps.

All/most of this should be in the README.MAPS file and other
documentation, including the documentation in Xastir's HELP menu.