[Xastir] New, Updated box time - which Linux??

Mike Markowski mm at UDel.Edu
Tue Sep 19 15:15:33 EDT 2006

Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com) is getting pretty popular because it's supposed
to be easy to set up.  I haven't tried it, though, so I'm just parroting what
I've read.  I wonder if any on the list have given it a go?  If I had a machine
to spare I'd try it.

I use Gentoo (http://www.gentoo.org) which is a little time consuming to set up
but you get a machine completely tailored to your use.

Finally, we use RedHat Enterprise Linux at work.  I don't like it much because
no new rpms are released until everything is believed to be totally stable, so
you tend to be way behind the latest and greatest versions of packages.  But if
you're making a dedicated aprs box maybe that's not an issue.

Not surprisingly (since I'm using it) I love my bleeding edge gentoo box.  I
have it set up to download the newest releases of packages, so-called unstable
versions, which sometimes causes hiccups, but I'm ok with that.  It forces me to
learn things I wouldn't have otherwise.

Hope that helps you a little!  73,
Mike  ab3ap