[Xastir] New, Updated box time - which Linux??

Darryl Gibson n2diy at losch.net
Tue Sep 19 15:59:08 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-19 at 15:15 -0400, Mike Markowski wrote:
> Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com) is getting pretty popular because it's supposed
> to be easy to set up.  I haven't tried it, though, so I'm just parroting what
> I've read.  I wonder if any on the list have given it a go?  If I had a machine
> to spare I'd try it.

Yes, I've been running Ubuntu 5.10 exclusively for six months, and
really enjoy it. Anybody who is thinking of jumping out of Windows,
Ubuntu is the way to go.

The Xastir package loaded and installed flawlessly, but it was version
1.4, so I uninstalled it, and went to the CVS version. That was a
nightmare, which I never did get to work.

Since than, I managed to hose my system, I moved my home directory to a
USB drive, instead of copying it. When I copied it back, all the links
were broken. :/

So I dusted off my test box, upgraded the ram, and hard drive, and
installed Ubuntu 6.06, which is what I'm typing on now.

The current Xastir package is 1.7, so I'm going to take another shot at
the CVS.

Also, I need to correct some misinformation I gave the list a while
back, Ubuntu 6.06 does not require 256m of ram, the live disk does, but
the installed system only requires 128m.

73
--
Darryl Gibson N2DIY
RLU X 182668/379552

“Arms are the only true badges of liberty. The possession of arms is the
distinction of a free man from a slave.”   --  Andrew Fletcher, A
Discourse of Government with relation to Militias (1698)