[Xastir] New, Updated box time - which Linux??

Richard, N6NKO r.polivka at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 19 14:55:19 EDT 2006

Bruce,

This is one of those "Holy Wars" questions. The answers will be
interesting and worth noting.

As I am in bed nursing a head cold brought on by allergies with a sound
asleep Mini Schnauzer next to me, I am running an IBM T42 with Slackware
10. The laptop is connected by ethernet to the whole-house network I put
in. Only the two bathrooms, kitchen, garage, and the laundry room do not
have a wire hookup but that will change in the kitchen when the snow
starts flying. My xastir server in the basement, an old Compaq Armada
laptop running a PII-266(?) is running the same release of Slackware.
That unit does partial I-gating and is mostly used for I-gate -> RF
relay of NWS messages for the Milwaukee and surrounding areas. The
Compaq has been up and running for 73 days now without a hitch.

My use of xastir is for weather related services. I work as a NCS and
relay station for our SKYWARN group here in Milwaukee. This also allows
me to have just one more source of information coming in during an
event. I run four data feeds here and an associate of mine runs three
others. No duplication of feeds either.

To install xastir, I replaced OpenMotif with LessTif, had to bring in
several libraries and compile (yawn) and it works out of the box, so to
speak.

Good luck with your search.

73 from 807,

Richard, N6NKO