[Xastir] New, Updated box time - which Linux??

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Tue Sep 19 16:13:35 EDT 2006

Ooh!  religious war!  Cool.

This laptop is running CentOS 4.5, or, essentially RedHat Enterprise
Workstation 4.5.  We run CentOS on most of our stuff here at work (and I
do at home) because it's stable.  Rock solid.  I've not had any troubles
installing Xastir on it that were not operator-induced.

Personal preference in distro's for years was Slack.  I moved my lab and
research facility to RedHat years back in favor of a package manager
(RPM) back when Slack's version of package management was tar and gzip.

I am running OpenMotif.  Lots of problems with LessTif so I just chunked
it in favor of OpenMotif and never looked back.  OpenMotif now ships
with CentOS so it's no longer a problem for me at all.

I likely update gdal more frequently than most, and ImageMagick.  I'd
like to meet the guys in charge of compatibility for ImageMagick,
someday, socially.  Should be quite a discussion.  I've gotten to where
I install ImageMagick via tarball rather than rpm, as I've seen some
problems when none should have existed with their precompiled binaries.

I don't have a Mini Schnauzer sleeping next to me.  I'm stuck at work on
  the prettiest day we've had in months.

73 gerry