[Xastir] RE: ref : New, Updated box time - which Linux??

Bennett, Bruce bbennett at Spang.com
Fri Sep 22 07:21:08 EDT 2006

Another choice? Yeah, in the past I have used a PCI serial port card w/4
ports... $$

I like the FTDI-based USB-to-serial (larger buffer than any other - except
SI Labs) but enumeration is the big issue...  I have had small seeming
changes, such as a new USB mouse scramble the entire port numbering order.

Parallax makes a very cheap FTDI based USB to serial - by now I bet there's
cheaper ones out there.

The SI Labs based devices can actually be re-programmed to bear a unique ID,
and from that can be made to enumerate in a specific order. I know how to
re-program the SI Lab device (a utility SI Labs provides), but I don't know
if Linux can take advantage of ID-based fixed enumeration...

Offhand, I don't know of an OEM branded USB to serial that uses the SI Labs
chip - we embed them in our company's product..