[Xastir] Baycom and xastir?

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Mon Sep 25 17:07:24 EDT 2006

Curt, WE7U wrote:

>On Mon, 25 Sep 2006, Art wrote:
>

>>Is there anyway for me to use my old Baycom BP-1 for APRS with xastir software?
>>
>>I have the ability to disable the power management in my RS-232
>>ports, which is a problem on some PC's.
>>
>>Have XP and 3 GHz processor.
>>

>If that's one of those parallel-port TNC's which require a special
>driver, I would think your only shot at it would be to check whether
>AGWPE supports it.  If so, run AGWPE on XP and have Xastir talk to
>AGWPE to get to the TNC.
>
>Very hazy, but I seem to remember reading about some kind of support
>under Linux for Baycom modems, so perhaps one could get the Baycom
>AX.25 driver working there as another option.
>
>--
>Curt, WE7U.   APRS Client Comparisons: http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
>"Lotto:    A tax on people who are bad at math." -- unknown
>"Windows:  Microsoft's tax on computer illiterates." -- WE7U
>"The world DOES revolve around me:  I picked the coordinate system!"

The standard AGW PE doesn't support the serial Baycom modem under Win
XP, AFAIK, but AGW PE Professional (not free) does. With XP and a 3.0GHz
processor, why not use a sound card modem under AGW?

Linux definitely supports both serial and parallel port Baycom modems.
Linux also supports sound card modems.

Ray vk2tv