[Xastir] Baycom and xastir?

Lance Cotton joe at lightningflash.net
Mon Sep 25 09:10:09 EDT 2006

Curt, WE7U wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Sep 2006, Art wrote:
>
>> Is there anyway for me to use my old Baycom BP-1 for APRS with xastir software?
>>
>> I have the ability to disable the power management in my RS-232
>> ports, which is a problem on some PC's.
>>
>> Have XP and 3 GHz processor.
>
> If that's one of those parallel-port TNC's which require a special
> driver, I would think your only shot at it would be to check whether
> AGWPE supports it.  If so, run AGWPE on XP and have Xastir talk to
> AGWPE to get to the TNC.

Yes, AGWPE supports the BP-1, a serial-port baycom modem. But for XP,
you have to purchase the AGWPE Packet Engine Pro.

(If the BP-1 is the same as the BP-2, interface wise, that is.)

The PC/FlexNet32 software for windows supposedly has driver support for
the baycom modems, but I haven't been able to get any of them to work.
Even if it did, I don't think Xastir can connect to the Flexnet interface.

> Very hazy, but I seem to remember reading about some kind of support
> under Linux for Baycom modems, so perhaps one could get the Baycom
> AX.25 driver working there as another option.

I know the baycom drivers work under linux. I've been playing with it
for the past few weeks with a PICPAR96 from baycom.

--
J. Lance Cotton, KJ5O
joe at lightningflash.net
http://kj5o.lightningflash.net
Three Step Plan: 1. Take over the world. 2. Get a lot of cookies. 3. Eat
the cookies.