[Xastir] What's the state of Cygwin these days?

Mark White jmarkw at ec.rr.com
Wed Sep 27 21:13:08 EDT 2006

Tom Russo wrote:
> After doing a little of the "STFW" thing, I refamiliarized myself with what
> the issue was --- the problem is that X.org dropped support for Display
> PostScript, and ImageMagick was built to use it.  The result is that
> the ImageMagick package in cygwin is currently busted, unless you find
> three old DLLs that it requires.  As far as I can tell, the ImageMagick
> package has not yet been rebuilt, as the maintainer of that package has
> announced he no longer has time to maintain it.  The most recent message I've
> seen about the matter was from the end of August, and it does not appear that
> any new maintainer has stepped up to the plate.
>
> So since you say you built xastir, I'm guessing you did not include
> ImageMagick support.  Is that right?  If you *did* build it with ImageMagick,
> does ImageMagick actually work? (i.e. can you use web-based maps?)
>
> >From the sound of it so far, there are two choices: 1) build ImageMagick
> from source on cygwin with the "--with-dps=no" (or some such option) or
> (b) find and install the three old DLLs that will temporarily continue to let
> ImageMagick think it has access to display postscript, or (5), just continue
> to not upgrade cygwin.  I think I'll take that third one for a while longer.

Oh yeah, you're right.  It didn't work with the Cygwin version
ImageMagick.  Forgot about that - 6 weeks is a long time ;)  I
downloaded the source to that as well as the source to gdal and
shapelib.  I use the online tigermap and radar all the time - don't
those maps require ImageMagick?

73 de ke4qkt
Mark