[Xastir] What's the state of Cygwin these days?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Sep 27 21:28:44 EDT 2006

On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 09:13:08PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <jmarkw at ec.rr.com> flavor, containing:
> Tom Russo wrote:
> > --- the problem is that X.org dropped support for Display
> >PostScript, and ImageMagick was built to use it.  The result is that
> >the ImageMagick package in cygwin is currently busted, unless you find
> >three old DLLs that it requires.  As far as I can tell, the ImageMagick
> >package has not yet been rebuilt, as the maintainer of that package has
> >announced he no longer has time to maintain it.  The most recent message
> >I've
> >seen about the matter was from the end of August, and it does not appear
> >that
> >any new maintainer has stepped up to the plate.

[...]
> >>From the sound of it so far, there are two choices: 1) build ImageMagick
> >from source on cygwin with the "--with-dps=no" (or some such option) or
> >(b) find and install the three old DLLs that will temporarily continue to
> >let ImageMagick think it has access to display postscript, or (5), just
> >continue to not upgrade cygwin.  I think I'll take that third one for a
> >while longer.
> >
> Oh yeah, you're right.  It didn't work with the Cygwin version
> ImageMagick.  Forgot about that - 6 weeks is a long time ;)  I
> downloaded the source to that as well as the source to gdal and
> shapelib.  I use the online tigermap and radar all the time - don't
> those maps require ImageMagick?

Yes indeed, they do.  So you took path 1).  Perhaps at some point I might
take a chance with that, but from what David says about X being a huge hog
now, I'm thinking it's safer to leave it alone.  Xastir builds just fine with
the old cygwin, and I imagine it'll work fine while I wait for cygwin's house
to get back in order.