[Xastir] What's the state of Cygwin these days?

David Flood davidf4 at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 27 21:00:09 EDT 2006

As long as you are running Windows 2000 or XP and don't want ImageMagic
support, you may get it to work.  Windows 9x support is in the process of
being removed and they've already removed some of the support for ImageMagic
from the Xorg files but didn't release an updated ImageMagic package to
match.  On top of that, their X Windows maintainer has left so who knows
when or if things will get fixed.

A review of the online archives of the cygwin mailing lists on cygwin.org
basically shows a project in transition and nothing is being fixed right
now.

The other issue is that the latest versions of Cygwin need a really fast CPU
since something changed and it is now a 100% cpu hog.  Using the PREV button
in setup to drop everything back one revision level sorta works, does fix
the cpu issue, but means that you aren't running the latest versions of
stuff..

At this point I have been able to get Xastir to compile but not actually
launch on the latest files.  There is no error, just the shell prompt
returns after some time and nothing else happens other than the cpu load
drops just a little.

Once I find some ATU's, I'm going to try to see how to compile under
DammSmallLinux (DSL) since it has a version that runs under Windows.  But
that would be even more cpu and memory intensive so that probably isn't a
good answer.