[Xastir] What's the state of Cygwin these days?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Sep 27 21:12:56 EDT 2006

On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 06:00:09PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <davidf4 at mindspring.com> flavor, containing:
> As long as you are running Windows 2000 or XP and don't want ImageMagic
> support, you may get it to work.  Windows 9x support is in the process of
> being removed and they've already removed some of the support for ImageMagic
> from the Xorg files but didn't release an updated ImageMagic package to
> match.  On top of that, their X Windows maintainer has left so who knows
> when or if things will get fixed.

Bleah.  I saw that their ImageMagick and GraphicsMagick guy had left, but
didn't see that the X maintainer had also bowed out.

> A review of the online archives of the cygwin mailing lists on cygwin.org
> basically shows a project in transition and nothing is being fixed right
> now.

I did spend a big chunk of time digging through those archives today.  It was
painful.  There have been complaints about the X.org update since July, and
no clear indication that anyone is in a position to fix things.

I did see a comment on the cygwin-apps archives that someone committed a change
to the ports CVS to ImageMagick back in August, but that change hasn't made
it to a package yet --- the person who did so was not volunteering to be
the maintainer, just helping whoever might pick up the maintenance of the
package in the future.

> The other issue is that the latest versions of Cygwin need a really fast CPU
> since something changed and it is now a 100% cpu hog.  Using the PREV button
> in setup to drop everything back one revision level sorta works, does fix
> the cpu issue, but means that you aren't running the latest versions of
> stuff..

Bleah.  Double bleah.  My laptop is an old refurbished Thinkpad I picked
up for a song, and without being updated Cygwin runs xastir Just Fine on it.
I'll definitely wait a few more months to update.   One generally expects that
Windows bloat will expand to fill all available processor capacity, but it's a
pity that Cygwin is following that paradigm, too.