[Xastir] wikipedia on xastir...?

Bennett, Bruce bbennett at Spang.com
Fri Sep 29 13:16:44 EDT 2006

> > >Great, except for those that are doing installs away from the
> > >internet, or the internet is particularly costly or slow for them,
> >
> > Hmmm...  I don't think it is really feasable to install xastir and maps
> > WITHOUT
> > a fair internet connection - I have over two gigabytes invested in
xastir
> > and
> > four-surrounding-state maps, not to mention the Internet-scavenger hunt
for
> > all
> > the associated packages.
>
> There are plenty of us saddled with slow dial-up, and xastir is quite
feasible
> for us --- just takes a good long time to set up for the first time.
>
> I've got about 3GB of maps, and it took quite a while to get 'em.

I hope it was at least a *local* call!  :)

I admire your tolerance and dedication - but on the order of 15 to 25 hrs
download time is a big minus factor to most folks (and that's not including
search time here). Definitely enough of a factor to waylay those that are
only mildly interested. Yeah... you are right, 'feasible' is a relative
term...

You'd be the one to answer: are documents in a wiki a problem for dial-up
access?

Bruce Bennett KB8ROP
BBennett at Spang.COM
(440) 352-8600 X 3350
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.
--Mark Twain