[Xastir] wikipedia on xastir...?

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Fri Sep 29 19:18:09 EDT 2006

Tom Russo wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 01:16:44PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <bbennett at Spang.com> flavor, containing:
>
>>You'd be the one to answer: are documents in a wiki a problem for dial-up
>>access?
>

> I'd not consider documents in a wiki to be a problem just because of dial-up.
> I have observed, however, that in almost every case in projects I'm interested
> in, that wiki documentation has been mostly worthless -- but that's a rant
> for another day.  I'm willing to be convinced otherwise, of course (by the
> presence of fantastic wiki-based documents).

We could go on and on about wikis in general.  I still believe that done
right, it's a great way to document a project and have some interactive
comments.  For example, I used a wiki entry to document model run
success, failure and completion times for an air quality project I've
been working on.  Same project, our human forecasts are posted each
cycle to the wiki.  We maintain documentation of what we need and don't
authorize just any user to show up and modify it.  Worked pretty well.

IF you don't control access, things tend to get a bit frenetic.  New
wiki topics sprout up without cause, reason or rhyme.  Changes
unreflective of reality appear from ID10Ts.  Well meaning folk who
shouldn't be allowed off Atari's (remember them?) make mods based on
their experience with a release that's not even maintained in CVS
because the punch cards don't read anymore.  'Nuff said.

gerry
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.862.3983