[Xastir] improved error messages for interface failures?

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Apr 9 13:53:53 EDT 2007

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007, Jason Winningham wrote:

> Something else that I forgot to mention:  would it be appropriate to
> add retry capability to local devices?  IIRC, an internet server
> interface can be flagged to reconnect on net failure, but there's no
> such option for other devices.

My opinion is that hardware is supposed to be connected and
reliable, whereas networks aren't.  Networks need retries, H/W
typically doesn't.  I'd rather not add retries into the TNC code
unless others are having similar problems.

> To complicate matters, the lockfiles were left in place and I wasn't
> able to do a simple restart of xastir to clear things up.  There
> _might_ have been a message to STDERR about the lockfiles, but I
> don't know for sure as I was driving and my navigator isn't as
> familiar with xastir as I am.

I just looked at that area of the code this morning.  It requires
debug_level=2 in order to see the lockfile messages on STDERR.