[Xastir] improved error messages for interface failures?

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Mon Apr 9 13:42:02 EDT 2007

Something else that I forgot to mention:  would it be appropriate to
add retry capability to local devices?  IIRC, an internet server
interface can be flagged to reconnect on net failure, but there's no
such option for other devices.

Here's the scenario that happened Saturday:  GPS and two TNCs plugged
in to USB/rs232 adapters, which in turn are plugged into a USB hub.
The hub flaked out, dropping all three devices.  I had to a) realize
there was a problem, and b) restart the interfaces.  This happened
multiple times (boo Belkin).

To complicate matters, the lockfiles were left in place and I wasn't
able to do a simple restart of xastir to clear things up.  There
_might_ have been a message to STDERR about the lockfiles, but I
don't know for sure as I was driving and my navigator isn't as
familiar with xastir as I am.

-Jason
kg4wsv