[Xastir] Administrative Note

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Apr 12 18:52:51 EDT 2007

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 04:50:40PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <kg4ijb at xastir.org> flavor, containing:
> Due to recent problems with the Wiki, I have made several changes that will
> affect everyone that uses this resource.  No user will be able to
> create/edit without having their email address validated and their
> permissions changed to allow this.  Unfortunately, there are over 100
> accounts in the database and I have no way of knowing which are ?valid?
> users.  Users with validated email accounts can create ?talk? but they
> cannot add or edit current pages.  If you are inclined to contribute to the
> wiki (add pages), you will need to contact one of the wiki sysops to have
> your permissions changed to permit this.

This afternoon I went through the user list and added wiki-editing privileges
to every user who has already made contributions to the wiki.  That is a very
tiny fraction of the registered users.

If you find that your registered wiki account has no editing privileges and
you'd like them, you'll need to take the steps that Chuck mentions, and
contact the sysops to have your account blessed.  And naturally, if you don't
already have an account you'll have to do the whole deal to get started.

If you don't have a validated email account and were one of the people who
had previously made contributions to the site, you can now edit the site as
before (I think) --- but I recommend you still make sure your email account is
validated through the mechanism Chuck described.

> Much of this goes against my
> belief of having an open living document, but alas, this is the world we
> live in.

I, too, am very sad to see the wiki have to be clamped down like this, but
at least with the three of us as sysops we should be able to get people
set up as wiki editors pretty quickly.

Those who are interested could look at the RecentChanges log to see how
much vandalism we were subjected to.  It went on all day, sometimes
re-vandalizing pages minutes after I had fixed them.  Some people need to
get a life.