[Xastir] Stable release timing?

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Sat Apr 14 01:03:41 EDT 2007

<rant>
Careful, now.  Top-posting used to be the norm and was only superseded
by folks who thought all prior info should be viewable and unfettered.
Inline posting, which I often engage in also violates the pure form of
bottom posting.
</rant>

Our release cycle isn't debian's, ubuntu's or gentoo's.  Or RedHat's,
Mandriva's or Centos's.  Nor any of the myriad others.  I see no reason
at all for us to conform our releases to their schedule.

What we *do* need to work on is a repository of all the requisite
dependencies, likely an apt||yum||slack||tarball||winzip collection, and
instructions that span enough OS/distro options to make it easy to get
what you need and go on.  There's no reason we should "stock" all the
stuff that belongs in the OS, like devel packages.  They should be able
to get those, with a little bit of documentation.

Challenge: Do we have any professional (or aspiring) technical writers
who are willing to step forward to support this sort of thing, and some
non-developers who are savvy enough to support package builds,
dependency corralling, and repository management?

gerry
(official curmudgeon)

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020  FAX 979.862.3983
MAIL:  AATLT, 3139 TAMU
Physical: 1700 Research Parkway, Suite 160,
College Station, TX 77843-3139