[Xastir] Problem under debian "Etch"

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Apr 20 14:03:40 EDT 2007

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007, Tom Russo wrote:

> The first thing to check in that question should be automake/autoconf, the
> other stuff would be red herrings.

'cept that there might be other "file not found" errors that can
crop up, and FAQ question 4.29 is intended to cover those
possibilities as well.

I put the automake/autoconf check as part a) of the FAQ answer.

> apparently
> there's something about the GNU coding standard that requires it to be this
> way.

Yes.  At least that was my read on it at the time.

> Somewhere in our FAQ we list the minimum versions required. I'm not sure
> if those minimum versions are even the right ones anymore.

And I'm not sure we want to get into updating the FAQ and/or other
documents all the time based on versions of things.  It'll be a
never-ending headache.

> if newer versions *don't* work we need to know that
> *AND* fix our configure script so it *does* work with newer versions.

Yep.  Don't know of any cases like this yet.  Usually when things
break with newer version they fix it, provide and update, and _our_
problem goes away.  It's _almost_ like they're trying to maintain
compatibility or something...