[Xastir] Looking for GNIS files

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Apr 25 13:05:23 EDT 2007

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007, Alex Carver wrote:

> How does one go about enabling these GNIS files?  I
> never knew what they were until this thread and now
> I'd like to play around with them.  I downloaded a few
> from the link a couple emails ago and put them in
> /usr/local/share/xastir/GNIS but now what?

Ah... There are two uses for the maps, so the location you put them
in works only for searches, but not for maps...

I often will create a symlink from the maps directory somewhere to
the directory you list above, so that the maps don't have to reside
in two places in my filesystem.

Something like:

    cd /usr/local/share/xastir/maps
    ln -s /usr/local/share/xastir/GNIS

Then just do a reindex of your maps and you should see them in the
Map Chooser from then on.