[Xastir] dbfawk and tiled shape files

Alex Carver kf4lvz at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 26 18:24:54 EDT 2007

--- Jason Winningham <jdw at eng.uah.edu> wrote:
> This is a roundabout way of getting there (I got
> there by accident),
> but the National Atlas has a counties shapefile
> that's different from
> the NOAA counties shapefile.  I use Nat'l Atlas for
> drawing maps and
> the NOAA version for alerts.
>
> Shapefiles are at nationalatlas.gov, and a dbfawk to
> start tinkering
> with can be found at
>
> http://www.eng.uah.edu/~jdw/xastir/

Ah, cool, I'll take a look at that.  But for now I did
the other hack and set up a dbfawk file then generated
symlinks to my tiles (under Counties/Tiles in my maps
directory):

cd /usr/local/share/xastir/maps/Counties
cp ../../config/nwsc_ddmmyy.dbfawk countytiles.dbfawk
cd Tiles
for i in `ls *.dbf`;
  do
  p=$(echo ${i%.*});
  ln -s ../countytiles.dbfawk ${p}.dbfawk ;
  done

The wonders of bash goodness.