[Xastir] dbfawk and tiled shape files

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Thu Apr 26 22:20:54 EDT 2007

Jason Winningham wrote:

> On Apr 26, 2007, at 4:50 PM, Alex Carver wrote:
>
>> Actually, I do have two copies of the county files for
>> the same reason you do, one to show weather alerts and
>> one to show counties.
>
> This is a roundabout way of getting there (I got there by accident), but
> the National Atlas has a counties shapefile that's different from the
> NOAA counties shapefile.  I use Nat'l Atlas for drawing maps and the
> NOAA version for alerts.
>
> Shapefiles are at nationalatlas.gov, and a dbfawk to start tinkering
> with can be found at
>
> http://www.eng.uah.edu/~jdw/xastir/

Just a reminder that SVR, TOR and FF watches are now county-based rather
than parallelogram-based, and as of 1 OCT SVR, TOR, FFW and SMW warnings
will be polygon (storm-) based rather than lighting up a whole county.

gerry
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020  FAX 979.862.3983
MAIL:  AATLT, 3139 TAMU
Physical: 1700 Research Parkway, Suite 160,
College Station, TX 77843-3139