[Xastir] Questions about Xastir running under VMplayer

Jim Tolbert RiverRidge at CenturyTel.net
Thu Aug 2 09:31:10 EDT 2007

Hi, all.........

While I am working on trying get set up with Xastir & Garmin Rinos (BUT I CAN"T FIND ANY TO BORROW FOR FIELD TESTS!!!), a colleague is working on a setup of Xastir with a TNC, radios and trackers.  His first approach was using VMplayer and here is his report.   Any solution to the single serial port issue?

As usual ..... Many thanx!!!! ... jt

"I completed the installation and initial testing of XASTIR using VMplayer on
Windows XP laptop this morning.  I have tiger maps for MN and WI loaded but
only select a few close in counties to minimize the time delay to re-size
the map scale.  I even got the USB to serial adapter to work.

_*The downside is that VMplayer only allows for one serial port.*_   This will
prevent using both Rhino and ham APRS at the same time.  Looks like a
computer running Linux is the most flexible approach.

This is a good product and its use and refinement should be encouraged.  Please note that my comments are in no way negative in that it did not take very much effort (only long download time) to install and have xastir operable.

However it would be nice to have more serial ports available in VMplayer so
multiple TNCs can be used.  Also, the ability to use a second TNC/radio to
send track data gathered at the search site back to an EOC would be nice."

Comments would be appreciated!

--
Jim & Peggy Tolbert

715-866-4398 home office