[Xastir] Help! with Linux

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Fri Aug 3 20:53:29 EDT 2007

On Aug 3, 2007, at 7:22 PM, Jim Tolbert wrote:

> OK... I made a really dumb move.  I cleaned up and tossed the
> installation notes. On that was the Administrators password.
>
> Is there anyway to recover it?
> Is there anyway to reset it?

OK, this is rough because I'm not much of a linux guy (Solaris is my
day job) and I haven't done SuSE at allm but this should be close.

easy way: if you put your user account in the sudoers file, do this:

sudo passwd root

it will ask for your password, then it should ask for a new root
password (twice).

Hard way:

boot from a LiveCD, mount the hard drive, edit /etc/shadow as
follows: on the line that begins "root:" delete all that garbage (the
encrypted password) between the first and second colons.  Reboot the
system and root will have no password.

> If I reload Linux (openSUSE), will that take care of it?

well yeah, but so will buying a new computer. (:

-Jason
kg4wsv